Friday, November 20, 2009

Impacting culture


Today while sitting in a university history class, I was randomly asked by the professor, "Are you afraid of the economic collapse, the environmental problems or your personal future?" I shocked myself with my candid response, given amongst 100 or so of my peers. Speaking clearly and assertively as I said, "When your life is composed of a series of undeniable miracles, things like economy, environment and even your future fade somewhere into the distance." I went on to talk about the real fears of my life, that consist of the thought of not seeing my beautiful daughters grow up to have children of their own, or not getting to grow old with my wife, or not having a great impact on the lives that are around me. I completed by saying the fear of all the other is really temporal and not something that guides who I am. I don't mean to sound cliché or arrogant, but this is honestly just what came rushing to the surface.

I didn't even actually address my real greatest fear, which is, that I am afraid of what my life would look like if I lived every day the way that God sees me living. Living boldly, without fear, as if every prayer is answered, as if every sick person is whole. This person the one that God says I am, terrifies me. Why? Because if I can be totally transparent, it is way bigger than my biggest goals, It means that nothing in my life would look the way it does right now, even though I think I live quite well. If all of us were to be honest, songs that we sing about "all I am is yours" would terrify us. We know that if God were totally given permission to own us we would live a life filled with risk.

As I walked from my classroom, The question still ringing in my mind, I realized why so many young people entering college find themselves dealing with depression, drinking, sexual experimentation and a great deal more. I understand why students would make these types of choices, given the standard that their aspirations, dreams and futures are nothing more than pipe dreams. I so clearly see why God has placed me where he has, and I pray that I will continue to be granted influence among such bright, and powerful people. If we lead people into encounters with God their faith will become realized, and their soul will hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment