Saturday, January 16, 2010

Knowing the Character of God in Turmoil

So, yesterday I sat down to go through my various social networking devices. You know... Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter etc. And inevitably, I came across some rather scathing judgment toward the country of Haiti. A country that is supposed to have, at some point in their history, dedicated the nation to satan. Now, I don't know where to start... But I will say that Christians are famous for quoting scriptures and citing "original sin" as the reason that Haiti, or New Orleans, or India, or China or... or... or... are experiencing the "wrath" of God!

I don't believe that God will cause mass destruction and for hundreds of thousands of lives to be lost, no more than I believe that He will ever flood the earth again! By the way, God said that he wouldn't again flood the earth! I wonder if this also includes other forms of natural disasters such as the one experienced in Haiti. I, for one, believe that this includes other natural disasters. I "love" how, whenever something bad happens, we call it "an act of God," but we never say this when we stand in amazement at the creative power of other potentially catastrophic events. The difference is people. We have inhabited so many violently creative places on the planet that it is insane to blame God, for our inability to act upon what we currently know.

I wonder at people's sheer ability to disconnect, because of the sickening luxury that we enjoy daily. I wonder how one can blame God for so much! I wonder what a "real" Jesus movement would look like in Haiti. Can you imagine Jesus walking around the thousands of dead as they lay on the streets, shaking his head as if they deserved it? I wonder if Jesus would sit comfortably behind his laptop, as I do now, making idle commentary on the plight of others thousands of miles away. I wonder how to measure Godlessness. If Godlessness, and "original sin" is the standard, what does this say about the restoration that Jesus came to earth for.

As I read several of the brutally hateful comments, it reminded me of some that I have read or heard directly from Nazi skinheads, Klan affiliates, White supremacists or other fundamental groups. I guess I must be a bit crazy to think that a Jewish Jesus, living in an environment that was, to say the least, risky, had a few challenges that may have made it difficult to love. But how did Jesus conquer every form of hateful, violent act against him? He "loved the world". I know, I know. Your thinking, He loved the world but not the sin. Right! But remember, if sin is the measure then Jesus is totally insignificant to forgive it! If Jesus is part of the triune expression of God, and God "is" love, and "love covers a multitude of sin" don't you think that this would include even original sin? I don't believe that God sees us, any of us, apart from the potential redemptive lens of Jesus. I believe that he indeed sees every one of us as created sons and daughters that are truly the image of God. Even the Godless! Does this mean that everyone inherits salvation? No. For this we are told, and I believe that we must "seek" Jesus. I wonder did everyone who Jesus healed, already believe in him? Did Jesus send out a pamphlet that read: I will be walking amongst you for the next few years and if you desire to be healed, please fill out this form ensuring that you have asked me to come live in your heart, and that indeed I am Lord. NO! He simply saw the image of God in people and responded to God! "I can only do what I see the father doing" Does this mean that God would heal those who do not yet believe in him? Absolutely!

Here is our commission to Haiti: Love!!! To love is the most relevant act that we have! It is no wonder that we aren't relevant, when we represent a God of love, with hate. It saddens me to see how the most relevant lover of humans, has been represented by people singing songs like, "they will know we are Christians by our love"... I would love for us to stop singing about love and actually be love. The word of God says, in order to combat evil, we must insert good!

I formally want to apologize, and take responsibility for any and all harsh or even hateful words, or acts being committed in the name of Jesus. I repent for my contribution to the problem and pray that a new breed of loving worshippers arise and redeem the lost cities! For Jesus sake!

Finally, I need to apologize for this very atypical rant, as I prefer to bring more contemplative concepts before you. If you find yourself offended, well I don't apologize for that, as that is out of my control. If you find yourself in agreement, lucky me! If you find yourself offended and provoked to change, congratulations... I love your willingness to accept challenge. I love you! I thank God for you! Even if you don't agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment